Friday, December 18, 2015

Castle Greyhawk: Webs and Wyrms

Well met Greyhawkers! It may be Star Wars week around the world, but today I'm proud to promote the 100th EPISODE of our ongoing Castle Greyhawk graphic novel. Check out page thirty-three to see some incredible visuals dreamed up by Scott Casper. On our site you can also check the archives and follow the entire Castle Greyhawk story from the very beginning.

Artist's Commentary: Well folks, this milestone page was difficulty 9/10 for me. Dragons and webbing is a lot of work and this took me three sketch runs to get it halfway right looking to my eye. The last panel was particularly good in my opinion. The dragon looks angry and frustrated. I like the variation in webs too, some thick, some wispy, some broken free. A lot going there.

The easiest part of illustrating it was Serten whacking the tail with his mace. That little "crunching" attack makes made laugh cause I imagined this in game terms; a cleric putting all he has into a swing and at best has a 50% chance of hitting, then perhaps only doing about 8 hp damage (magic mace? dunno). The white dragon obviously felt it, but I'm sure it was a distraction for Tenser to get away more than a lethal attack.

Meanwhile...where is the front line fighters? More next time! ;-)

2 comments:

Scott said...

Definitely worth the three tries for that first panel. Wow, it's gorgeous!

grodog said...

I particularly liked the "Have at thee, fiend!" line =)

Allan.