Sunday, May 15, 2016

Castle Greyhawk: Two For One

Welcome back Greyhawk readers! Well now I'm not even trying. Somehow I'm two episodes behind in promoting chapter four in our ongoing Castle Greyhawk graphic novel. Check out page-three and page-four to see some alluring illusions by  Scott Casper. On our site you can also check the archives and follow the entire Castle Greyhawk story from the very beginning.

Artist's Commentary: So much to say about these pages that I must've forgot. At any rate, both pages should have been easy given Scott's minor use of dialogue. The pictures certainly tell the story of these two pages. Page three was a tough one for some reason. 

I think it was the "beat-panel" set up which I was out of practice on. Given I draw on paper, it's not always easy to "copy paste" a scene and make subtle adjustments. I did this a lot back during my comedic Greyhawk strips, but they were much less detailed. I ended up drawing page three twice basically. The first time I tried to be cute and draw the poses over a stock background but it failed. The second time I sucked it up and drew it all out and I'm glad I did. The expressions and gestures on Erac and Ehlissa are priceless.

Page four was a different challenge.Scott wanted to do an homage for the late great comic artist Gene Colan. I was slightly disturbed that I did not know him when I'm such a Marvel fan. After some research I had indeed obviously seen his masterful work before. This page four "collage" is all black & white as a tribute to his style of illustration. It was quite a joy to draw if not a composition dream. I wouldn't mind having another crack at this style of art, I'm sure I could do even better.  Astute D&D fans will also notice my other homage in this page. Enjoy! 

2 comments:

Mystic Scholar said...

My laziness is obviously rubbing off on you.

Mike Bridges said...

Haha yah I am doomed.