Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Old Dragon Magazine Subscription

Here is a minor buried treasure I found among some old D&D materials I acquired over the years, a very cool TSR Dragon Magazine subscription form dated 1983.

This is the same year the World of Greyhawk boxed set came out so I wonder if this was part of the set, I don't recall? What is awesome about this flyer is the art; a sleek dragon with some knot-work in the background. The piece is by the late Jim Roslof whose art you may remember from many classic D&D books such as Deities & Demigods or the cover to Keep on the Borderlands. As far as I can tell I've never seen this dragon illustration anywhere else.

For many of us Dragon was what kept our appetite for new D&D sated month to month. There was no internet and no message boards, only the articles, art, letters and responses printed in each issue. Here is the magazine ad's blurb:

"Every issue of DRAGON Magazine is a treasure trove of ideas, opinions, and artwork designed to ut more :magic" in your role-playing game experience. Most of the articles are of special interest to players of the D&D and ADVANCED D&D games, offering them new rules and concepts to keep their fantasy gaming adventures exciting and challenging. DRAGON Magazine has a complete game or gaming accessory in each issue, plus features on miniature figures, game and book reviews, and full-color comics. Subscribe, and get all of this for a rate of $2 per month - the most inexpensive treasure you'll ever buy."

Yes, indeed it was...

And of course, allow 6-8 weeks for delivery of the first issue. Good times!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As far as I can tell I've never seen this dragon illustration anywhere else.

I don't think I've seen it elsewhere either, which is pretty amazing considering:
A) TSR's tendency to re-use artwork, and
B) that dragon is freakin' awesome!