Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Ghosts of Saltmarsh Campaign

Greetings again, friends of Greyhawk! Today is just some personal gaming news. Thanks to the release of Ghosts of Saltmarsh, I've been inspired enough to get my own Hold of the Sea Princes campaign running again after a short hiatus.

I recently threw together this map of the Jeklea Bay region to show what a widely interesting and underdeveloped area the Sea Princes really is like. Saltmarsh does not show on this map, but for those who don't have a map handy, it is due north of Monmurg on the coast of neighboring Keoland. It is just under 60 miles away (2 hexes)! Most of greater Keoland is much much farther away than that. For this reason, it is incomprehensible to me as a Greyhawk enthusiast, that you might be encouraged to run an entire Saltmarsh campaign and NOT use the Hold at all. I'd wager to say the plots and placement of all the GoS adventures, besides the three U-series modules, would work fantastically in the Sea Princes. They would definitely make more sense travel-wise than crossing the vast Azure Sea as well.

At any rate, with the Hold so damn close to Saltmarsh it is imperative to me, that this country gets developed in any shape or form through the DMsGuild. What we currently know of Monmurg and Prince Jeon II could barely fill an index card. I'm not necessarily asking for a full gazetteer write-up of the Sea Princes, that's easy to find, just handy references to what's right across the bay from Saltmarsh; to give the tiny town more context (like what's being traded, smuggled, notable pirates, ships, intrigues) and to push the boundaries to what's acceptable for publication on that site.

My Sea Princes campaign picks up with the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (5E version) next week. I am also running a side-campaign that has so far tackled the Ghost Tower of Inverness, The Lost Laboratory of Kwalish (5E, really fun, try it out) and is now heading to White Plume Mountain. Good times!

7 comments:

grodog said...

Looking forward to hearing more as the game develops, Mike! :D

Allan.

Andre Michael Pietroschek said...

Good luck with your Greyhawkery. I still think it was more worthy than several other D&D worlds.

Mike Bridges said...

Andre: Thank you sir! Agreed!

grodog: I hope it just goes. These days its hard keeping a campaign afloat.

Lord Gosumba said...

Mike, are you running your Campaign pre Greyhawk Wars 576? Was curious! THX!

Mike Bridges said...

Yeah it started 576, but I've lost track of how much time went by, it may be 577-679. I've been vague about time since I'm not driving toward any timeline goal post like the Wars.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to run Dragotha's Lair.

casey said...

Started my GoSM campaign on Saturday with 8 PCs, mostly 5e newbs. Thinking about using Dwellers of the Forbidden City as the 6th-level adventure but set in the Amedio instead of Hepmonaland.