Thursday, June 13, 2019

St. Louis Blues Win the Stanley Cup

Warning: Non-gaming related post ahead!

WOOOO! Greetings, my Greyhawk friends! If you've known me for any length of time, you'll know I have three obsessions. One is the World of Greyhawk (naturally) the other is the comic, Mighty Thor, and the other is hockey, namely the St. Louis Blues of the NHL. This week they won the Stanley Cup in a decisive game 7 over Boston Bruins. The same Boston Bruins who swept the Blues in four games 49 years ago. I'm almost 47, so that's how long this quest for redemption has been going on for our fan base. This is like the century-long struggle that was recently ended by Chicago Cubs fans in baseball.

Not only did they win 16 games to take the prize, they had to claw all the way from last place in the league in January, to get to the playoffs. How is that in D&D terms? Your character just got beat up going through a dungeon, then with one hit point left and a broken sword, you just rolled a bunch of nat-20's to slay a dragon. Okay that may be extreme, but it is definitely in the same realm as the 1980 U.S. Olympic team defeating the USSR.

At any rate, when it comes to my favorite three things, 2019 has been a damn fine year for me so far. I got to be on a Greyhawk panel with many of my friends at Gary Con, I got to see movie Thor kick ass one more time in Avengers: Infinity War, and now, my favorite hockey team finally lifted the most-difficult trophy to win in all of sports! I'm gushing with pride, my head is still in the clouds and I'm happy to shout it out on the internet: St. Louis Blues, Stanley Cup Champions!

5 comments:

Thomas Kelly said...

Oh Mike, I had no idea you were a Blues guy. Truly a miracle story.

Feeroper said...

I just discovered this site - I love Greyhawk and this blog is great! Also, I a HUGE hockey fan. I was extremely happy to see the Blues emerge victorious! I'm a huge Leafs fan, but since Boston took them out in the first round this year my next pick to go all the way was St. Louis - so congrats to the Blues!

casl Entertainment said...

Congratulations to the St. Louis Blues: Stanley Cup Champions!

And this...from a Blackhawks fan!!!

Mike Bridges said...

Thomas: Yeah it's been a long time coming!

Feeroper: Thanks for finding and reading my blog! Yeah now we need to work on the Maple Leafs drought next. Or Canada in general. They haven't won since 93? At least they won the NBA! :D

casl: Ah man, always good to get the kudos from you. Our friendly rivalry feels on equal footing at last ;)

Jared Milne said...


I'm a couple of weeks late on this, but I had to post because I actually met Craig Berube when I was a little kid. He played men's slowpitch softball with my Dad when he was still starting out with the Flyers, and I met him on a camping trip ca. probably 1989. He even signed an autograph for me. I can only imagine how much it'd be worth in St. Louis right now.

And the NHL really should make Coach of the Year voting come at the end of the playoffs instead of the regular season. Berube got cheated for the Jack Adams award.