Saturday, February 16, 2013

10 Cool Greyhawk Monsters

I've been skimming some classic Greyhawk works lately, last time I mused about setting specific magic items I've never used in a Greyhawk campaign. Today I've decided to list some wicked monsters appearing in one or more Greyhawk products, that I'd like to use more in my campaigns. If any of my players read this, look on and despair because they're fresh on my mind!

1. Bullywugs (Dwellers of the Forbidden City, Dungeonland) They were in Fiend Folio and the D&D Cartoon back when I was still new to the game. I need more bullywugs in my game!
2. Juggernaut (Temple of Elemental Evil, Tomb of Horrors, Greyhawk Ruins) The mobile cousin of the mimic. Just the name is enough to get player's attention.
3. Tyrg (Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure) A cross between a tiger and a dog with a stunning howl. Nasty!
4. Horg (Greyspace) You're better off not knowing about these critters...
5. Froghemoth (Expedition to the Barrier Peaks) This creature would look real nice in front of a mob of bullywugs!
6. Manscorpions (Rary the Traitor) Combining the aspects of nature's best two backstabbers.
7. Cave Fisher (In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords) They know all the best places to nab adventurers.
8. Gibbering Mouther (Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan) My love of monsters with no discernable vital spots is legendary.
9. Thassaloss (From the Ashes) Compliments of Iuz, a bone golem and then some.
10. Bodak (Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth) Aww yeah. You don't want to tangle with them for very long.

4 comments:

Lee B said...

Incomplete without something from WG4! Tharizdun says NORKERS.

Mike Bridges said...

Norkers?! Bullywugs hop circles around those guys!

The Badger King said...

I love bullywugs. Any time I run an adventure (especially in Greyhawk), you can be sure to find a swamp somewhere full of bullywugs being run by terrorizing lizard men.

Valkaun_Dain said...

Bring it on!