Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Praise For Greyhawk Reborn

Years ago, in the aftermath of the RPGA's Living Greyhawk Campaign's demise a new group heralded as Greyhawk Reborn rose from the ashes. The fine staff behind this living campaign is made up of former triad members, RPGA writers and avid fans of the setting. I have to give Greyhawk Reborn heaps of praise for going strong now into the newest edition of D&D. Now I admit that I haven't paid much attention to either organized play group over the years mainly because I've been lucky enough to have my own robust home games. I've always been active in the community at large by writing articles, comics or whatnot, but never in the arena of writing adventures or going to smaller events like GR's recent interactive at MEPAcon in Pennsylvania.

Hopefully I can change this. I'm already a follower of Greyhawk Reborn on Twitter and recently I've enjoyed reading their new GHR Camapign Guide for 5E. I'm impressed with their list of deities (with cultural names in place like the Baklunish pantheon's Tharoth for Nerull) and I like their easily adaptable character bonus abilities for human subraces. Looking forward at D&D's future I hope Greyhawk Reborn will stay active and grow with the renewed interest that I see in this edition. One more thing, I hope GR or anyone involved with the campaign will be attending GenCon in 2015. I regularly attend this convention and would love to add GR to my list of things to do and people to meet.

See more about Greyhawk Reborn over at Greyhawk Grognard in this July interview with GR head honcho Dave Guerrieri.

3 comments:

Mystic Scholar said...

Damn! MEPAcon's only a couple of hours from the house. I keep telling myself that I'm going to go "next year," but something always comes up.

I shall have to put forth greater effort next year!

DaveGuerrieri said...

Thank you Mortellan! We truly appreciate you kind words! We've been running Greyhawk Reborn for less than 2 years now, starting in spring 2013, so we haven't been around for years, but only for months. We have run over 70 separate adventures in that time.We were quite pleased to run 29 tables of GHR at MEPACON this past weekend, including 30 players through our Saltmarsh Interactive, Journey to the Abyss.

We are using the 5E rules, and were using the D&D Next Playtest rules before that. We picked up 15 years after the end of LG, starting in 613 CY. We are really enjoying the shared storytelling experiences we have with our players.

For more information regarding Greyhawk Reborn, you may use the following links:

• our Greyhawk Reborn website at http://www.greyhawkreborn.com/

• our GHR Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/greyhawkreborn/

• our GHR Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/greyhawkreborn

• our GHR Yahoo Group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/ghr/

I hope the formatting comes out OK!

Mike Bridges said...

Sorry I overstated GR's age, but in game years, especially for a setting like Greyhawk a couple years feels like a long time. I'm happy to see a thriving place for us old Greyhawkers at conventions. GenCon is the biggest con for RPGs and there is never a single GH game listed for any edition. It's prime for GR to step in.
I'm also excited to see you guys involved with 5E at the early stages. I hope you all end up creating and converting a lot of good material over to the new edition.