Welcome again Greyhawk fanatics! If you've been following, this is the *checks notes* ninth round of my ongoing Return of the Ring of Five Questions column! If you're seeing this column for the first time this is a community participation feature of Greyhawkery. Search back and read the previous installments then email me at email@example.com with your own five responses. Remember, you can be as short or wordy as you like in these responses. Also, I will keep taking entries until the end of 2020 so hang in there, I will get your answers posted in a timely manner!
Q1. What is your favorite realm or region in the World of Greyhawk setting?
- Lots of things in those modules that, in retrospect, just don't work (and I'm talking beyond the goofy 'fun-house dungeon crawl' Spidership that was completely out of place).
- The Sauron's Eye (Liddless Eye), based on bad art, should have been immediately corrected with the subsequent publishing to reflect The Elder Elemental God's symbol (and why is Lareth the Beautiful wearing one? He serves Lolth!)
- Yochlol only make sense if they're servants of The Elder Elemental God (being they're all tentacle-y Cthulhu Mythos-type "things"). Presumably there should have been an encounter with one at the bottom (the unpublished 5th lvl) of The Temple of Elemental Evil to help the tie-in.
- I would make Driders into Lolth's most fanatical servants: sub-demons. Or at least the "good merge" ones where they're half-spider/half-Drow and still look mostly human on their upper-torso. Something akin to The Witcher Tv series Kikkimora would be a "bad merge" Drider: one that failed Lolth's tests and is now more of a mindless, ravenous spider-like abomination.
- The final encounter(?) with the EEG I think was supposed to take place in The Sunless Sea at his Temple. The D-series probably could have gone another whole trilogy, in fact, with adventures in Erelhei-Cinlu and The Sunless Sea.
Q4: You're putting together an all-star Greyhawk NPC group. Who is your number one pick?
Q5. If you could possess one artifact or relic from Greyhawk lore, which would it be?