Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Greyhawk Initiative?

Some of you old school gamers who follow D&D news or social media probably have heard about the latest Unearthed Arcana document by head honcho Mike Mearls. The new idea that he's floated about is called "Greyhawk Initative" a variant system of tracking combat for 5E that he introduced at GaryCon 2017 (I was there but missed this bit). Initial reactions online have been muddled and confused. I have no desire to do a rules analysis or gripe about how this bad idea is attached to Greyhawk. Here is a couple places to help you out if you are interested.

ENWorld (including Mearls video)

Tribality (good breakdown of rules)

8 comments:

MP said...

Seems terribly complex for no discernible benefit.

Mike Bridges said...

MP: That was my gut feeling. If a particular game group likes complexity like this go for it, but trying to replicate 1e/2e initiative isn't a popular idea I'm guessing.

DaveGuerrieri said...

I could see some old schoolers using it, and I do like the feel and mechanics of it, but it seems too complex for most casual gaming. I don't see our Greyhawk Reborn living campaign using it, but I'd love to try it in a session or two.

Mike Bridges said...

Dave: Glad to hear you chime in since you have an active stake in any new rules additions. Has GHR been open to everything else out of UA articles, or do you only stick to Core choices?

DaveGuerrieri said...

We use very little of the UA stuff in GHR, if any. We probably have more unique content that has been created by authors, admins and players in GHR that UA content. We generally want things that fit with the feel and flavor of Greyhawk. For instance, only parts of Sword Coast PC info got into GHR.

Mike Bridges said...

Very cool. I prefer custom setting rules too. Btw Dave, I won't be at GenCon this year it looks like. Hope to catch you in the future.

Mike Bridges said...

Very cool. I prefer custom setting rules too. Btw Dave, I won't be at GenCon this year it looks like. Hope to catch you in the future.

SADLOVE said...

Based on population use and forest available Brambleood will be gone in fifty years, and Veluna dependent on them simply because the others wouldnt sell forest for firewood.



** สล็อต ออนไลน์ ได้ เงิน จริง**
** goldenslot mobile**