Saturday, September 19, 2026

My Top 30 Greyhawk Warriors

Hey Greyhawkers! I had so much fun doing a Top 30 Wizards list that I buckled down and did more. Today I'm showing off "warriors" which in this study includes Fighters, Barbarians and Rangers. I tried to scour through the most popular Greyhawk sources and use the Zavoda Index for hunting down obscure names. Here is my methodology and caveats to the list. 

Update 9/19/2026: After hearing some calls for ruling warriors from the 1983 Gold Box, I have reassessed my methodology and updated the list. See below. As such there is a tie at the bottom increasing my list to Top 34* Enjoy!
Update 9/23/2026: Turin Deathstalker is back in contention! I found he is level 18 in The Adventure Begins.

1. All stats are based on either the most recent published edition or the highest listed values in a published edition. Where no stat is given a result of <15 or 15-20 was usually given based on educated guesses. While important in some cases, I ignore INT and CHA, but have chosen the other four stats as gauges of a warrior's might, speed, durability and insight.
2. For scoring, all stat values that are 20+ are given (3) points, 19-18 (2) points, 17-15 (1) point and any stat less than 15 or with no data (assumed to be less than 15) is given (0) points.
3. Level is a special reconsideration. Wizard level is valued at what high-level spells they can cast whereas classic warrior name-level started at Level 9 so I've adjusted the scoring scale as follows: <9 (0) points, 9-12 (1) point, 13-16 (2) points and 17+ (3) points.
4. Authority is determined on whether the warrior belongs to a popular power group, works for a ruler, or is in fact a ruler of a nation or city themselves. This is worth (2) points.
5. High AC looks at whether the character in question has an Armor Class of 1 or lower (AD&D) or 19+ (D&D 3.x and beyond). This is worth (2) points.
6. Artifacts is determined on whether the warrior possesses artifacts or game breaking items such as a ring of invisibility, girdle of storm giant strength, or sentient weapons. This is worth (2) points.
7. This list only goes into the top 30 LIVING Fighters, Rangers, Barbarians. I omit vampires, animuses, death knights, quasi-deities, etc.
8. I have drawn these names from published Greyhawk sources. I have avoided fanzines and Living Greyhawk Campaign sources (besides the LGG).
9. This list is likely not comprehensive, but I did dig deep for this list. It also has very little peer review so if tweaks are made I will make notes.

Fighter/Ranger/BarbHomeLevelSTRDEXCONWISAuthorityHigh ACArtifactsTOTALSource
Lord RobilarBright Lands2020161816YYY16RtT
Franz TorkeepShield Lands1719181815YYY16ItA
WardukeHorned Society1820162015YYN15Dun
General ReynardSouth Province1919<151817YYY14ItA
Lady Marshal RowenaVesve1619181817YYN13ItA
King Kimbertos SkottiKeoland1516181618YYN12LGG
Prince LynwerdNyrond141917<1515YYY12MRK
Shairn Vel ValunarHorned Society14181617<15YYY12ItE
Sevvord RedbeardStonehold2018<1518<15YYN11LGG
General SasquandNorth Province17181617<15YYN11IVID
King ArchboldNyrond1718<151615YYN11IVID
Darlack RuhickRauxes1619171717YYN11IVID
Elrenn WalthairHighfolk1616171816YYN11MRK
Obmi the SlyCrystalmists919161716YYY11ATG
Lord DoragOld Aerdy1519<1518<15NYY10ItE
Admiral RosenFuryondy1518<1518<15YYN10IVID
Commandant PetrosGran March1518<151515YYN10LGG
General BasmajennNyrond16181617<15YYN10IVID
Baron ShalasterNorth Province1519<1518<15YYN10IVID
Lord YragGreyhawk13181616<15YYN10tAB
At-ur RehmatIuz10201715<15YYN10ERoG
Turin DeathstalkerGreyhawk1815<15<1516YNY9CoG
Prince Jeon IISea Princes171518<1515YNN9LGG
BruzharagUll1620<1518<15YNN9LGG
General HanshaltNyrond1518<1517<15YYN9IVID
Skannar HendricksFellreev1318<1516<15YYN9ItE
General LevialenInnspa13171617<15YYN9IVID
General MyarikenNyrond1220<1517<15YYN9IVID
Sir ZylinchinNyrond1218<151715YYN9IVID
Latmac RanoldLordship Isles161818<15<15YNN8WGB
King OrvungSchnai1618<1518<15YNN8WGB
Count LorganCounty Urnst16<1518<1518YNN8WGB
Sultan MuradZeif1518<15<1518YNN8WGB
Lolgoff BearhearCruski1518<1518<15YNN8LGG

Notes on sources:
RtT (Rary the Traitor), ItA (Isle of the Ape), Dun (Dungeon Magazine), LOG (Liberation of Geoff), ItE (Iuz the Evil), MRK (Marklands), IVID (Ivid the Undying), LGG (Living Greyhawk Gazetteer), ERoG (Expedition to Ruins of Greyhawk), tAB (The Adventure Begins), CoG (City of Greyhawk Boxed Set), WGB (World of Greyhawk Box)

1 comment:

BenS said...

Ah, Lord Robilar...either the greatest of traitors like Rary, or...
I quite like Paizo's 3.5 rehabilitation of him in their excellent GH Ruins book.