Saturday, September 19, 2026

My Top 30 Greyhawk Warriors

Hey Greyhawkers! I had so much fun doing a Top 30 Wizards list that I buckled down and did more. Today I'm showing off "warriors" which in this study includes Fighters, Barbarians and Rangers. I tried to scour through the most popular Greyhawk sources and use the Zavoda Index for hunting down obscure names. Here is my methodology and caveats to the list. 

1. All stats are based on either the most recent published edition or the highest listed values in a published edition. Where no stat is given a result of <15 or 15-20 was usually given based on educated guesses. While important in some cases, I ignore INT and CHA, but have chosen the other four stats as gauges of a warrior's might, speed, durability and insight.
2. For scoring, all values that are 20+ are given (3) points, 19-18 (2) points, 17-15 (1) point and any stat less than 15 or with no data (assumed to be less than 15) is given (0) points.
3. Authority is determined on whether the warrior belongs to a popular power group, works for a ruler, or is in fact a ruler of a nation or city themselves. This is worth (2) points.
4. High AC looks at whether the character in question has an Armor Class of 1 or lower (AD&D) or 19+ (D&D 3.x and beyond). This is worth (2) points.
5. Artifacts is determined on whether the warrior possesses artifacts or game breaking items such as a ring of invisibility, girdle of storm giant strength, or sentient weapons. This is worth (2) points.
6. This list only goes into the top 30 LIVING Fighters, Rangers, Barbarians. I omit vampires, animuses, death knights, quasi-deities, etc.
7. I have drawn these names from published Greyhawk sources. I have avoided fanzines and Living Greyhawk Campaign sources (besides the LGG).
8. This list is likely not comprehensive, but I did dig deep for this list. It also has very little peer review so if tweaks are made I will make notes.

Fighter/Ranger/BarbHomeLevelSTRDEXCONWISAuthorityHigh ACArtifactsTOTALSource
Lord RobilarBright Lands2020161816YYY16RtT
Franz TorkeepShield Lands1719181815YYY14ItA
WardukeHorned Society1820162015YYN14Dun
General ReynardSouth Province1919<151817YYY13ItA
Lady Marshal RowenaVesve1619181817YYN12ItA
Obmi the WilyCrystalmists919161716YYY11LOG
Sevvord RedbeardStonehold2018<1518<15YYN11LGG
King Kimbertos SkottiKeoland1516181618YYN11LGG
Shairn Vel ValunarHorned Society14181617<15YYY10ItE
Elrenn WalthairHighfolk1616171816YYN10MRK
Prince LynwerdNyrond141917<1515YYY10MRK
Darlack RuhickRauxes1619171717YYN10IVID
Admiral RosenFuryondy1518<1518<15YYN9IVID
BruzharagUll1620<1520<15YNN9LGG
Commandant PetrosGran March1518<151515YYN9LGG
Lord DoragOld Aerdy1519<1518<15NYY9ItE
King ArchboldNyrond1718<151615YYN9IVID
General BasmajennNyrond16181617<15YYN9IVID
Baron ShalasterNorth Province1519<1518<15YYN9IVID
Marshal SasquandNorth Province17181617<15YYN9IVID
At-ur RehmatIuz10201715<15YYN9ERoG
General HanshalNyrond1518<1517<15YYN8IVID
Lord YragGreyhawk13181616<15YYN8tAB
General MyarikenNyrond1220<1517<15YYN8IVID
Sir ZylinchinNyrond1218<151715YYN8IVID
Lolgoff BearhearCruski1518<1518<15YNN7LGG
Ingemar HartensenSchnai1618<1518<15YNN7LGG
Skannar HendricksFellreev1318<1516<15YYN7ItE
General LevialenInnspa13171617<15YYN7IVID
Turin DeathstalkerGreyhawk1515<15<15<15YNY6CoG

Notes on sources: RtT (Rary the Traitor), ItA (Isle of the Ape), Dun (Dungeon Magazine), LOG (Liberation of Geoff), ItE (Iuz the Evil), MRK (Marklands), IVID (Ivid the Undying), LGG (Living Greyhawk Gazetteer), ERoG (Expedition to Ruins of Greyhawk), tAB (The Adventure Begins), CoG (City of Greyhawk Boxed Set)

No comments: