Saturday, December 14, 2019

Greyhawk Island

Greetings Greyhawk maniacs! Needfest is fast approaching and I don't have much new to show you, but I can muse about a strange thing I notice about the Flanaess map. If you've been familiar with Greyhawk and the community as long as me, you'll know the celebrated Darlene map, with all its artistic flair, has some dubious geographical features if applied to real life. In my youth I didn't care about that stuff, but now decades later my brain has ran over the map millions of times and I can't unsee the fact that Greyhawk-Duchy of Urnst is an island.


Look it at! The Nyr Dyv and Midbay area is the north coast, the meandering Nesser River is the east coast, the Woolly Bay is the south-south west coast and the short Selintan River is the west coast. This island encompasses the "port city" of Greyhawk, the Duchy of Urnst and the Bright Desert/BrightLands. I hope someone can explain me wrong about this, because without researching it, I'm sure there can't be a real life instance of an island bordering a lake, a sea and one or more rivers at the same time. Fantasy maps, gotta love them.

Running with this island idea though, it's fun how the geopolitical nature of this area is unchanged for the most part. Greyhawk seems more like a low land swampy domain nestled in its NW portion shielded by a range of highlands that runs the length of the islands from the Cairn Hill through the mountainous Abbor Alz middle that encircles the desert third. The Duchy is largely plain of course save a section of highland Celadon Forest. The Bright Desert (formerly Sulm) with the Brass Hills in the center is likely the highest elevation on average in this hypothetical island. Those southern cliffs don't seem to sport any ports unlike the bustling port of Hardby up the coast.

My brain tells me that the east and west river segments ruins the islands premise, but if you consider two swamps, the Mistmarsh and Gnatmarsh border these river systems, then one well placed flood can make this island even more noticeable! Crazy Zendrelda the fortune teller may be onto something. At any rate, the point of this island is, when you've played with the same fantasy map for nearly 40 years, its fun to sometimes turn things on a head and see what new you can do with it. Comment, refute and enjoy!

4 comments:

Rod Thompson said...

This occurs in the real world too, the term is a "bifurcated lake" when the watershed occurs in the middle of the lake. Lake Vesijako in Finland is an example, and I believe there is one that feeds the Don and the Volga in Russia. Neither are as spectacular as the Nyr Dyv.

Ryan said...

Technically, Isa Lake in Yellowstone National Park is a "bifurcated lake" like the Nyr Dyv. It drains to both the Gulf of Mexico by way of the Missouri-Mississippi river system and to the Pacific by way of the Columbia river system.

Mike Bridges said...

Wow! Awesome input guys. I guess it IS possible then. Now I need to check them out on Wikipedia!

grodog said...

Mike---

I really like the idea that the coast along the Abbor-Alz and Bright Desert is a long, long cliff-face, honeycombed with caves and crevasses, nests and ledges, tunnels and mines, with some buildings like the monasteries at Meteora (some functional, some ruined).

Allan.